PatMarrNC - all messages by user

2016/1/20 7:20:05
Kids with round heads! I was reading through old forum posts and saw some comments about how reducing the scale of "older" characters in order to create child-like characters does not yield believable proportions.

Kids heads tend to be larger in relationship to the rest of their body, and rounder. Also their cheeks tend to be chubby and they tend to have protruding top lips and small noses.

So I wondered if a head attachment for the Muvizu BOY character might create a new option for people who need child characters. Here's a promo video for just such a free character set, that includes kids with 2 different head shapes. The resulting head-body proportion helps to fill the void for infant to young adolescent children, depending on how you scale and dress the character.

Set includes a baby, a toddler , a male and female adolescent and since Valentines day is approaching, I made one of them into a cupid character. The set also includes the approximation of a child's bedroom, with changing station, crib and dresser, and a baby bottle.

Mouths are not covered, so characters can still be used with lip-synched dialog.

Set is uploaded but not approved yet.

edited by PatMarrNC on 20/01/2016
2016/1/20 0:09:03
Mandy Character and a Mic ukBerty wrote:
I feel your pain - I decided to go for a fixed mic - it suited the retro look of what I wanted though so worked out OK

Berty, your approach provides an EXCELLENT solution to the problem, and I totally agree that the old-style mic on a stand is the better choice for your production! I can't wait to see your video! I'm sure it will be creatively inspiring (if I can keep my envy from undermining all the positive influence!)
2016/1/19 21:08:24
From the Wabby's Land ziggy72 wrote:
That is beautifully done - so clean! Your models fit with the Muvizu design ethic really well. Nice site too

what Ziggy said! You are a real craftsman! I am amazed by the quality of your work, and as Ziggy said, it all fits so well in the Muvizu motif! If this were a musical performance, I'd give it a standing ovation!
edited by PatMarrNC on 20/01/2016
2016/1/19 19:49:00
2016.01.15 Bugs emergencysquirrel wrote:
Try this:
New blank set, add one character.
Record some head movements, stop. Save. Close Muvizu.
Reopen the file. Record more head movements after existing movements. Save.
Try reloading the file... oops!

confirmed here. However, I tend to make short scenes and save head moves for last. I very rarely reopen a scene to add more head moves, so this isn't a deal killer for me. I think I'll test to see if deleting the old head moves and starting over fresh keeps the project from reopening the 2nd time.... (will report back with an answer shortly)

=====update after testing ====
after reopening a scene with head moves, if I DELETE the existing moves and start fresh, the saved project will reopen. However, if I record OVER the existing head moves (or append new moves after existing head moves on the timeline) and save the project, it won't reopen. So until this gets fixed, just doing all the head moves at one time should keep the project re-openable. If you must add more head moves, delete all of the existing moves and start over from scratch

This is for one character.. I have not tested to see if it's possible to add head moves for separate characters in different editing sessions and still retain the ability to reopen the project after saving it. Going now to see how this works with head moves for multiple characters....

====update after testing head moves for multiple characters ========

OK, adding head moves for different characters in different sessions does not prevent reopening. Apparently the problem is isolated to making changes on a timeline that contains previously recorded head moves.... whether appending or recording over, the project will not reopen after saving UNLESS you delete all head moves on that character's timeline and start fresh.

Also, any previous sets with keyframed camera movements load with all movements lost.

Also confirmed here.

Now to test & see if newly recorded keyframed camera moves save and reopen. If the original problem was related to the keyframed moves, it may have been part of the fix to remove them from the project so it would reopen. If the problem is fixed going forward, it may just be a matter of re-doing the keyframed camera moves. (Will test and report back. )

========== update after testing =======

I was able to re-record the lost keyframed camera moves, save the project, then reopen it with the keyframed moves intact.

If in fact it is true that it was necessary to strip out the old keyframed moves in order to get the projects to reopen, at least that preserves most of the work that people put into their projects. In my case, the lost keyframed camera moves were only a few second's worth of the scene, and re-recording them was far easier than recreating the whole project from scratch. In an imperfect world, I see that as an acceptable tradeoff to get most of my project back.

I hope this information is helpful to others.
edited by PatMarrNC on 19/01/2016
2016/1/19 19:40:53
Mandy Character and a Mic blickfang wrote:
Thanks Pat. I'll give that a try when I get home.

Do you have that mic you used handy :-)

The one thing I will though miss is the mic toss

message me with your email address and I'll send it to you.
(The one I linked to on Sketchup didn't come into Muvizu correctly, so I modeled my own... as such it's a simple model with no textures, just colors... but I'll be happy to send it)
2016/1/19 18:46:19
I downloaded the latest version of Muvizu last night at about 17:30 CDST and confirmed Mandy had no instruments, which is needed for the singing actions

I created this demo in the version of Muvizu that was just released. Its purpose is to illustrate what I'm trying to communicate about the Mandy character's ability to use the singing functions if you just get her a mic... (you may want to watch in full screen in order to follow the menu choices)

There are a couple of actions that would normally involve switching the mic from hand to hand ("Throw Mic", "Throw Mic between Hands" and "Big Vocal 1" for example) but due to attaching the mic to her left hand, those few actions aren't useful. But all things considered, Mandy has about 95% of the capability. Why the mic is not one of her accessories is a mystery to me (but not much of a road block)
edited by PatMarrNC on 19/01/2016
2016/1/19 16:11:23
So even if I manage to get a mic in Mandy's hand and make it semi-believable, she still won't have the lovely singing moves that some of the other characters have.

:-)

I loaded the Mandy character and went to actions..... all of the actions are available to the Mandy character for singing... its just the mic that's missing as far as I can tell. You can demo the actions and Mandy acts them out. So if you get a mic imported and put it in her hand, you should be good to go
2016/1/19 0:47:48
Mandy Character and a Mic theotherguy wrote:
I'm also trying to have a singer use a mic, I've tried downloading the file into Sketchuo, but from there it doesn't allow you to save or export a file type Muvizu can use.

Sketchup by itself doesn't have any export options that work in Muvizu. However, there is a plugin for Sketchup that allows exporting to ASE format (which Muvizu can use)

Here is the WIKI link to all the info you need:

http://muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/143/
2016/1/18 22:49:47
2016.01.15 Bugs
I think this version's just a patch for the head movement bug.

so, is the head movement thing resolved?

I ask because I'm not experiencing the problem with opening sets that were saved in the previous release... so if the head movement bug is resolved, I'm A-OK with the current version
2016/1/18 22:27:05
Hi Pat

I tried that before and was not please with the results. We had to use a "less attractive" lead singer. Pop singers need to be attractive!! :-)

I'm curious to know what was disappointing about the results... seems like a model is a model...
2016/1/18 15:00:37
Mandy Character and a Mic even though her character does not have an INSTRUMENTS option, there is the possibility to add an imported object to either of her hands. Sketchup's 3d warehouse has a bunch of microphone models you could DL and convert to ASE or FBX format. Here's one of them:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=913b3f2c0479f19d2c9474f2c97797dd
2016/1/16 20:02:59
no sound in latest version Muvizu Play+? do you have headphones plugged in that might be redirecting sound from the speakers?

Has sound worked in previous versions of MUVIZU? or is this your first use, and it isn't working?
2016/1/16 19:54:23
15 min. Animation "Tonight at the Pizzeria" clever concept for an original story!
2016/1/13 12:19:45
Coming Soon 2016 Wabby wrote:
Hello there and happy new year for all !

So nice pictures here, again !

I promise : this year : I'll be back with a lot of surprises, now my kids are grown enough to give me some free time :-)

Wabby,
I look forward to seeing your next offering! I'm sure it will be amazing!
2016/1/12 22:02:17
Failed to load object from file I know that sometimes the core problem can't be identified and fixed in a timely manner. The key frustration to users is that they invested a lot of time in projects that can't be reopened in the current version for one reason, and also can't be opened in the last stable version due to file format differences.

Until the core problem is fixed, it would be helpful if the Muvizu team could release a utility program that converts sets from the current format to the last stable version's format. That way, people could pick up where they left off, but in an earlier stable version of Muvizu.

If Muvizu doesn't have time or resources to do it, maybe there are some geeks here with hex editors who could take an old set, copy it, open it in the latest version and save it.. then compare the two sets for differences. maybe we'll get lucky and the differences are minor
2016/1/11 8:03:33
saved favourites won't reload I think you nailed it, Fazz! Tonight, all of those favourites opened with no problem in the latest version... so apparently what happened is that I saved them in the latest version, then tried to open them in the last stable version. I like it when things turn out all right!

(I appreciate your help, Fazz!)
2016/1/10 18:53:02
saved favourites won't reload fazz68 wrote:
that unknown format error usually appears when something is trying to load from a different version of muvizu. ie sets are not backward compatible. but as you've loaded the sets ok and saved the characters it shouldnt really do that so i dunno?
what sets did you use?

I may have been using the last stable version when I saved them... but they won't reopen in the latest version. Seems like if older sets can't be opened in newer versions then the whole store would be rendered obsolete every time there's an update.

As far as the question of which sets I used... just about everything in the store that includes characters (which is why it took all evening. ;-(

I've had some other situations since then in which characters I've saved as favourites won't spawn. Also the set in which they were saved won't reopen, with a message like the one we've been getting after making head moves & timeline edits. I wonder if the problem they've been trying to track down and fix might have a connection to character favourites... possibly being the element that won't load....?
2016/1/10 2:36:53
saved favourites won't reload Hmmm... the other night I stayed up for hours loading sets with characters other people created, then saving them as favourites. Today, none of them will spawn... I get an "unknowm format" error. has anybody ever seen this before? If so, is there a known cause? I'd hate to do this again because of some dumb thing I'm doing....

Sometimes I get the feeling that in life's dialog box of preferences, I need to uncheck the tick box for IDIOT (but I can't find it)
2016/1/8 15:15:31
Spinning propellers? Braj,
that propeller looks great....
2016/1/7 6:21:46
Timeline Endpoint Setting If you go to the CREATE VIDEO menu, there are text boxes that let you set the start and end times for your rendered movie... but if you change the end time there, it also changes on the timeline. Whether that's faster or not... depends I guess. ;-)
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87