PatMarrNC - all messages by user

2016/9/24 16:21:13
Exactly how have Google screwed up Youtube? mindiflyth wrote:
Ziggy, I'm really disappointed and I'm not going to engage with your trolling.

Mindiflyth,
before you take a hard line here, and disengage from somebody who is a real value-adding member of this group... it's worth mentioning that true freedom of expression is a NEUTRAL phenomenon. It doesn't punish anybody, no matter what they believe or how they act or based on the choices they make. It isn't biased in any direction.

At its best, it allows all ideas to be explored and discussed equally. Therefore we should all be very leery of jumping onto any bandwagon that seeks to punish others for their ideology.

It has been my experience on discussion groups that when ideas are actually DISCUSSED (as opposed to prohibiting the discussion of certain topics) the end result is a stronger more cohesive group because everyone gets heard and pent-up animosity gets relieved.

At its worst, freedom of expression can lead to confrontation. But confrontation is always a necessary part of conflict resolution. As long as people (and nations) are still talking, there's usually peace. When the discussion stops.. watch out!

I do think that freedom of expression , in order to work effectively, needs to be accompanied by mutual respect for the dignity of all parties involved. It has been my experience that you can say just about ANYTHING if you preserve the dignity of the other person while saying it. And it isn't even necessary to agree with the other point of view in order to respect the person who espouses it.

From my perspective, your position in this discussion appears to be that one group is free to make their choices, but those who don't agree with those choices are NOT free to think or speak otherwise. This is very one-sided rule making. So you are effectively advocating the practice of censorship, even though that is clearly not in anybody's best interest.

Those who support censorship when it supports their point of view, but oppose censorship when it supports the opposing point of view... that is the classic definition of hypocrisy.

-----------------------------------------------------
2016/9/24 0:57:28
Exactly how have Google screwed up Youtube? quote] and now the 'heroes' can shut you down if they don't like your vids - how will that work if a 'hero' doesn't agree with your political views, or sexuality, or religion, or sense of humour, etc? An awful lot of people rely on their YT videos to generate income, and that's already started to come to a crashing halt (but YT doesn't even inform you of which vids it's demonetized!). The days of free speech on YT are over. Sad but true.

This whole discussion reminds me of the classic scene from TRUE LIES, in which Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis are being held captive, and it has just occurred to Jamie Lee that the husband she thought was a wuss is actually a spy.

She asks him "Have you ever KILLED anyone?"
He replies "Ja... but dey were all bad"

And so Hollywood deftly justifies the practice of killing BAD people... now, the million dollar question is: "Who gets to decide who's bad?" Is society as a whole involved in reaching some agreed-upon standard?

In the case of the discussion at hand, it appears that The "heroes" get free reign to decide who's bad. That's a decision in KIND.

Once it's firmly established who's bad, then the degree of punishment can be ramped up at any time.

A worst case example taken directly from history:
In VietNam and Cambodia the Khmer Rouge group trained children to report people who held ideas the regime did not like. After collecting information quietly for months, they rounded up all the "bad people" in one night and executed them.

While it is true that the Khmer Rouge and YouTube DEGREEs of punishment are not worthy to be compared, it is also true that the KIND of thinking used in both cases is remarkably similar. In both cases impressionable young people are used as willing heroes to purge society of evil, and the definition of evil is decided unilaterally. I find the similarity more than a little disturbing.
2016/9/23 20:09:37
Muvizu on Steam urbanlamb wrote:
did you download the steam installer and validate your account?

nope.. maybe that's it. Funny.. I never got an email after creating my account telling me to do that. Usually after signing up for a site the follow-up email tells you what to do next.
2016/9/23 20:04:19
Muvizu on Steam MrDrWho13 wrote:
PatMarrNC wrote:
update #2...

after creating an account and logging in, I clicked the aforementioned button and was informed that my type of account does not entitle me to vote!! Not sure where to go from here....

Maybe you can't vote when you account was just created. Not sure what you can do about that.

What's their payment schema? Do you buy tokens or credits in order to make purchases on Steam? I was wondering if only people with tokens can say what they are willing to buy.

Especially given the nature of their green light system, I can understand why they might make it inconvenient for people to create accounts for the sole purpose of voting.
2016/9/23 19:55:08
Muvizu on Steam update #2...

after creating an account and logging in, I clicked the aforementioned button and was informed that my type of account does not entitle me to vote!! Not sure where to go from here....
2016/9/23 19:44:35
Exactly how have Google screwed up Youtube? Hard to imagine, but I had never seen the acronym SJW until today, and I had to look it up. The topic would make an interesting and perhaps controversial Muvizu video if anybody was brave enough to tackle it.
2016/9/23 19:39:01
Exactly how have Google screwed up Youtube?
Contrary to what many people on YouTube are saying, they're not actually censoring these videos.

well.. that depends on your definition of censorship. If censorship is only considered such when it is the complete prohibition of self-expression, then your statement rings true.

But many people see this topic as a "toad in a pan of heated water" scenario, in which people are led to accept an ever-increasing amount of information control until it reaches the point of no return and the toad is boiled (and dead)

When evaluating arguments like this, the first question to ask is whether the two points of view are differences in KIND or differences in DEGREE.

Differences in KIND would be VIOLENCE as a solution, as opposed to NON-VIOLENCE
Difference in DEGREE would be spanking versus beheading.

Once the public approves a certain KIND of policy, it is very easy for the powers in control to ramp up the DEGREE. Which is why in early discussions they always argue DEGREE, not KIND.
("What we're doing is not as bad as what people are suggesting...") a statement of DEGREE which totally side-steps the fact that the KIND of policy they are pursuing is indeed what the people fear it is.

In this case, a difference in KIND equates to opinion control versus freedom of expression...

Difference in degree is control through economic sanctions or control by absolute decree. You are arguing in favor of control because you accept the current lesser degree... but once control is established as the norm the degree of control will certainly ramp up to something you probably would not accept.

----------------------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 23/09/2016
2016/9/23 18:12:29
Muvizu on Steam I'm willing to help, but I'm not familiar with Steam.... do I need to join something in order to express my wishes on your behalf?

----edit-----
OK, I joined Steam... do I vote by clicking the button that says "yes I would buy Muvizu if it were available on Steam"? (even though I've already bought it ?)

also, I notice in the lower right corner there is a message saying that the owner of the thread (MUVIZU) has hasn't logged into Steam for 343 days. This suggests abandonment and doesn't send the message that this is an active greenlight project.
edited by PatMarrNC on 23/09/2016
2016/9/23 5:41:06
KEY FRAME TEST looking GOOD, my friend!!
2016/9/22 22:02:22
Muvizu Halloween Contest 2016 Entries tonyob67 wrote:
I tried to import a house from sketchup, but for some reason muvizu crashes, and is only like 5,000 polygons...

The models in Sketchup's warehouse are uncontrolled. Anybody can post a model, so the quality varies quite a bit... ranging from quite good to horrendous. The good news is that there are thousands of models on just about any theme, so if one crashes, Try another one.
2016/9/22 15:44:15
KEY FRAMING PROBLEM Tony, your enthusiasm is so refreshing to see... I hope you never change or lose that !
2016/9/22 15:41:37
KEY FRAME TEST MrDrWho13 wrote:
The video is private.

yeah Tony... you forgot to make the video public, so we can't watch it! Hurry up man, I'm all excited to see what you did... and my curiosity is killin' me! ;-)
2016/9/22 15:39:38
Muvizu Halloween Contest 2016 Entries the standard Muvizu lighting flattens things out and doesn't take full advantage of Muvizu's 3D look and feel. Ziggy's settings definitely add visual interest, as evidenced by just about any of his videos.

But, playing devil's advocate here... the standard lighting can be useful in other ways.

If you have proficiency in one of the 2D animation packages and you want to merge content from the 2D world into Muvizu's 3D world, a flat lighting scheme makes it less noticeable.

If you want to show something that Muvizu can't do, that's a good opportunity to merge content from your 2D package. A very simple way to transfer your Muvizu set to a 2D world is by simply taking a screen shot of your Muvizu set, then apply it to a layer in Moho or other program.

You can move characters to 2D by taking a screen shot of the character from a couple of different angles, then in a garphics editor, cut it into individual features (like arms and legs) that can be rigged in the 2D environment.
2016/9/22 8:24:41
PAT MARR'S CONTEST WINNERS AND REVIEWS
Is there a time limit to download the prizes. I am going out of town until Sunday, and might not get them downloaded until I am back.

Take your time, but let me know when you've got them downloaded so I can delete them and free up space on dropbox for other things.
2016/9/22 8:22:35
KEY FRAMING PROBLEM yeah Tony... the MUVIZU approach is always PREPARE... then DIRECT

The sets you got for participating in the contest have step-by-step instructions on how to direct or keyframe the features on the characters. If you follow those instructions, it ends up being a pretty good tutorial.
2016/9/22 3:11:02
MODELING SOFTWARE Tony, check your email.... you might find a surprise... ;-)
2016/9/22 3:00:45
MODELING SOFTWARE do you already have the ASE converter installed so you can save files as ASE then import them into Muvizu?
2016/9/22 0:31:50
A little tip Video I did for playing in Muvizu Speedking5 wrote:
PatMarrNC wrote:
Thanks for sharing your tips, Speedking!... I'm not sure I understood all of what you were saying... but I especially like the idea of projecting a camera's view onto the face mask (at least I think that's what you were advocating...if not, then my mistake. But I'll be experimenting with that one...)

Thanks yes that is what I was advocating. Also projecting the character camera view or multiple objects on to a backdrop for movement
edited by Speedking5 on 21/09/2016

I spent considerable time experimenting with this idea the other day. Putting a video DIRECTLY onto a mask can be a very trial and error task until you get the video centered on the mask. But an advantage of putting the video on a backdrop then projecting it onto a mask with a camera is that you can make adjustments easily just by repositioning the camera until the mask looks good!

Good idea Speed King!
2016/9/22 0:25:44
MODELING SOFTWARE two free ones are :

SKETCHUP...
http://www.sketchup.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PPC%20-%20Brand%20%3EUS%20%3EStars&utm_term=sketchup&utm_content=SketchUp

and

BLENDER
https://www.blender.org/

Both of them can export models in a format that MUVIZU can use. For sketchup you'll need a plugin, and I'll post a link to a version that works with the latest version of sketchup.

If you don't have experience with any modelling software, I recommend that you start with Sketchup for several reasons:

1) its free. If you decide you hate it, you haven't lost any money
2) There is a LOT of information on this site's WIKI about how to make models for MUVIZU with that software
3) There are also a lot of Sketchup users here who can offer advice when you get stuck
4) there are plenty of youtube tutorials explaining how to use Sketchup
2016/9/22 0:09:07
MASTER PEACE tonyob67 wrote:

No, no...forgive me for being so annoying hahaha, thank you, got all very clear now.

annoying??? You are NOT annoying at all Tony... it is very easy to see you are a good man and a blessing to the forum! I'm glad you are here and I enjoy your excitement about Muvizu!
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87